Monday, 5 December 2011

Organization is So Hard to Achieve

My Favorite Things Creative Chat encourages artists to talk about our stamping spaces - how we set things up and what are our go-to tools. Thanks to everyone who chose to share some great tips as I learned a lot from these experienced people. Here's a look at my space.


Here's a panoramic shot of my craft room. My husband understands my need to create, and he's created a spot for me in each of the homes we've lived in. Here's a shot of my current space. It's in the basement, but there's lots of big windows. At first, I worried cause the floor is unfinished, but that's
turned out to be a plus with bits of paper, glitter, etc. falling to the floor no matter how hard I try to contain it. The tables were surplus from a company which was down-sizing and the sewing desk was his childhood bedroom work space. I store boxes of stuff under the tables, too.

Looking closer at each space, let's start with the north wall. This is my cutting and scoring area, and where I have my music. To the right of the table is my jewelry making storage. Right now, it's also the staging area for my Christmas supplies.



Next, is the east wall which is the longest wall. On the first table, are my Cricut, Cuttlebug, and Spellbinder spaces. The cutting dies are stuck to magnetic pages, which were then attached to framed canvases that I had kicking around. The second table holds my Ott light, tool bag and Copic stand.

Let's have a closer look at the "nerve centre" here. Out of the shot is my Creative Memories cutting board. The tool bag holds all the tools I use each time I do paper craft. There are places for scissors, glue, adhesives, pens, erasers, Crop-A-Dile etc. I love this bag because it makes taking my go-to tools on the road if I attend a class or just go to crop with my girlfriends. I like knowing exactly where my tools are located even if I'm away from home. You'll also see my Teflon mat here - love that thing. Copics are always organized in their case (purchased through Oozak). I find this stand invaluable.

In the shot above, in between the tool bag and the stand, is my Copics binder. You can see I use the traditional color chart, but I think it's just too small a space to see clearly. So I stamped a coffee mug from a MFT set on multiple pages of X-Press It card stock, one or two pages for each group. I colored all these images in the Copics I have in my collection, in the manner that I normally would, complete with light and dark colors. This way, I can see exactly how my colors will look on a project. There's a shot of one page below. I also have pages in my binder for hair color and for recording what colors I used on favorite projects.

And now, a look a the south wall. Here's where I have a bank of pastic storage cases. I've started labelling what's in each drawer for easier access. On top of the storage cases are things waiting for me to find a good space to put them. Also on this wall is a cupboard handed down to me from my in-laws where I store my paper.



I found a real deal on ribbon at a fabric store, and  rolled each piece on empty Christmas paper tubes, cut to an appropriate length.

And to wrap up, here's a shot of my supervisor. She comes to get me when she thinks I've spent long enough not paying attention to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment