Thursday, 2 February 2012

HFC Gatefold w Cuttlebug




Heartfelt Creations released an absolutely beautiful set of products entitled the Artistic Gatefold Collection. I simply fell in the love with the results! I don’t own a Grand Calibur machine which was demonstrated in the HFC Video video, however, I was certain there had to be a way to get the same results with my Cuttlebug. So I ordered the HDC716 die set anyway. I’m quite pleased with the results. Follow along below and make your own gatefold card with just a Cuttlebug.



For the background:


Cut a piece of cardstock 4 ½ x 7 inches. Place die on paper and hold steady with a tape that will release easily. I use painters tape. Ensure that the die is 2 ¼ inches from the top of the paper. Cut and snip off at end of cut.










Then cut two pieces 2 ¾ x 5 ¼ inches. Score at ½ inch. Attach dies and cut. Trim if necessary to fit well with the first piece and tape together. I use Scor Tape.










For the lacy overlay:

Cut a piece of the lighter color cardstock at 4 ¼ x 6 7/8 inches.
Cut four pieces at 2 ¼ x 5 ¼ inches.

Place the largest intricate die on the largest cardstock piece. Slip a piece of wax paper between the die and the cardstock to facilitate easy removal. Tape in place and run through the machine. You will likely need to run through the machine several times to get a clean cut. Move the paper to a different spot on your cutting plates each time. I even flipped over my top plate. It’s important to get a clean cut or you’ll spend ages with your tiny scissors trying to snip any paper shreds.



With each smaller piece, hold the light cardstock behind the darker (already cut) cardstock and trace the cut. Then place your die on the trace and tape down. This ensures your cut will line up with the previous cut when you start attaching the layers.





Now decorate your light panels. Sponge the edges with Distress Bundled Sage ink. Then, on the panels destined for the inside, stamp images. I used Inkadinkado’s Best Friends and Hearts & Love sets again in the Bundled Sage. On the outside panels, stamp a light background.

Stamp an image on another piece of light cardstock. I used three flowers from the Heartfelt Creation’s Vintage Wildflower Set HCPC2272 and Distress Worn Lipstick. I also stamped a butterfly from the Inkadinkado Best Friends set. I heat embossed the flowers and butterfly, and cut them out.

Cut a Cuttlebug leaf, sponge the edges and stamp in the same background as the front panel.

Cut a panel for sentiment with Spellbinders, stamp and emboss a greeting. Use the die to stencil more Worn Lipstick around the inside. Sponge the outside with Bundled Sage.

Adhere the layers. I used Tombow for the lacy parts, and Scor Tape for all else.

One note: adhere the flower to the front of the right panel, with it overlapping the left side. Then place adhesive on the left side of the leaf only. With the flower attached, close the card and then attach the leaf overlapping the flower just slightly to hold the panels closed. You might also attach ribbon or twine to the card fronts, perhaps with brads, for this purpose.

Continue to embellish as desired. I used small faux pearls.


1 comment:

  1. This is an extrodinary card. I love the detail. Hugs Bela

    ReplyDelete